Know historically as “Hyde Park,” from which the surrounding town gets its name, this estate is one of the Hudson River Valley’s oldest estates. It began when Dr. John Bard purchased the land in 1764. The Bard family sold Hyde Park in 1828 to Dr. David Hosack, president of the New York Horticultural Society, but by 1840, John Jacob Astor bought the estate for his daughter and her husband. By 1895, the Vanderbilt’s bought the 600-acre Hyde Park estate as a summer home that was accessible by their own New York Central Railroad. Between 1896 and 1899, the Vanderbilt’s had their Beaux-Arts, 54-room mansion built and designed by McKim, Mead, and White.
This scenic crosses the Crum Elbow Creek from the old Albany Post Road, leading to the mansion. It was built in 1897 and is one of the country’s earliest examples of a Melan arch bridge, which is a reinforced concrete style named after the Austrian engineer, Josef Melan.