This historic building in New Windsor, New York is one of the Hudson Valley’s oldest churches.
In response to the absence of Anglican churches within 18th century America, Methodist churches like this one formed all across the thirteen colonies. Methodism, John Wesley’s “methodical” approach to Christian living, was originally a branch of the Church of England, so for an 18th century English-American like John Ellison, it was a natural substitute. Ellison, whose nearby home famously served as General Knox’s headquarters, formed this congregation back in 1791 and originally held services on the second floor of his business. By 1807, the church’s current building was built and survives today as Orange County’s oldest Methodist Church.