This historic courthouse in Kingston, New York was built in 1789. The first courthouse was built in 1683 and was a two-story stone structure that held a courthouse, jail, and county offices. When the British took over New York City during the Revolutionary War, New York’s delegates, led by John Jay, took up residence in the Ulster County Courthouse, where they convened a constitutional convention and approved a new constitution in April of 1777. In October 1777, the old courthouse was burned down during the Burning of Kingston and as the city rebuilt, this new structure replaced it in 1789. It was at this courthouse that Sojourner Truth, the famous abolitionist and women’s rights activist, argued her case to save her son from slavery. A case that she won.