This historic house in Ossining, New York was originally located along the Albany Post Road. It was built around 1760 as the home of tenant farmer, Peter Davis, who rented 200 acres of Philipsburg Manor. After the Revolutionary War, the Manor was confiscated by the Commissioners of Forfeitures because the Lord of the Manor, Frederick Philipse III, had been a loyalist during the war. It is not clear how the house got the name “Jug Tavern.” Nineteenth-century owner, Nathaniel Garrison may have sold liquor by the jug, but he would have done it unlicensed since no record of a tavern license exists. The house was sold to the Town of Ossining and the Ossining Restoration Committee in 1975 before they transferred the deed to the non-profit corporation Jug Tavern of Sparta Inc. in 1976.