This location marks the site of a historic battle from Lake George’s history.
During the autumn of 1755, the French and Indian War raged throughout the New York frontier as France and England battled for control of North America. On the morning of September 8th, Colonel Ephraim Williams set out from Lake George with 1,000 colonial soldiers and 200 Mohawk warriors to reinforce the critical supply base at nearby Fort Edward. Lying in wait was Baron de Dieskau, a seasoned French general who had set his Canadian, Indian, and French troops in a semicircle, prepared to ambush the incoming company. Just three miles south of present day Lake George Village, they launched their ambush. In the immediate aftermath, the great Mohawk, Chief Hendrick, was killed alongside many Indians and colonial soldiers. In an attempt to rally his troops and lead a charge up the hill, Colonel Williams mounted this rock, but was immediately killed by a musket ball to the head. This fight would mark the beginning of the Battle of Lake George, a bloody three part engagement that eventually saw the French forces halted and hundreds dead.