This historic church in New York City has a special place in the city’s history.
Peter Stuyvesant, New York’s last Dutch governor, had the first church built here in 1660 in what was then just farmland. The current late-Georgian church was built in 1799 to replace his chapel. It is New York’s oldest site of continuous religious practice and also the city’s second-oldest chapel after St. Paul’s Chapel. Stuyvesant’s burial vault is also located underneath the church with other notable burials such as the Vice President under James Monroe, Daniel Tompkins.