This lost historic dock and shipyard in Rockland County, New York were created due to Haverstraw Village’s shallow waters. In 1845, a shipyard and marine railway were built at this point in the Hudson River for the repair of vessels engaged in the brick business. It began when Joseph Walker laid the railway down for Tunis and George Snedeker. Their business proved a profitable enterprise for several years and even became a landing place for steamboats, but by 1850, competing marine railways started springing up at nearby at Tomkins Cove and Rockland Lake, leading to the yard being abandoned by 1851.
In 1854, the entire shipyard was demolished by a mysterious fire. Later, during the Conger family ownership, it became known as Waldberg Landing.
1854 Map of Rockland County, New York / Surveyed and published by R. F. O’Connor
The area of Snedeker’s Landing is infamous for being the meeting place of Benedict Arnold and Major John André on September 21, 1780, when they met to discuss handing over West Point to the British.
Today, Snedeker’s Landing is part of Haverstraw Beach State Park, a public park with hiking, biking, fishing, and more available to visitors.
A historical marker near the corner of 9W and Route 304 commemorates Snedeker’s Landing