These historic ruins on Roosevelt Island in New York City are the remains of a smallpox hospital designed by architect James Renwick Jr. The Gothic Revival 100-bed hospital opened in 1856, making it the first hospital in the country dedicated to smallpox.
By 1875, it was known as Riverside Hospital, but by 1886, the building was converted into the Home for the Nurses of the Maternity and Charity Hospital Training School.
Between 1903-04, southern and northern wings were added to the structure.
The hospital training school would last until the 1950s, but after its closure, the building was abandoned and quickly fell into disrepair.
Today, all that is left of this Gothic ruin is the building’s shell.
The Roosevelt Island Smallpox Hospital is a designated New York City Landmark, making it the only ruin in the city with that designation.