This lost church and historic site in Cohoes, New York was constructed in 1896 by Horace B. Silliman to memorialize his parents’ (Levi and Clarissa) founding of Cohoes’ Presbyterian Church.
Horace Silliman (1825-1910) was a prominent community leader in Cohoes who made many civic contributions to the city, including this church that once stood at the corner of Mohawk and Seneca Streets. The church was a Richardsonian Romanesque–style brownstone and brick building with gables and turrets and a tower at each corner. Included in the complex was the church, a church house, and a manse with a distinct Tudor arch doorway.
In 1979, the church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, but years of absentee ownership would follow. By the 1990s, it was pronounced an “eyesore” and deemed too deteriorated to preserve. Despite objections and preservations efforts by the Spindle City Historic Society, the City of Cohoes demolished the church in 1998.
Today, a public park named after Horace Silliman occupies the former church site.