These now abandoned buildings in Esopus, New York were the ornate and luxurious stables of Col. Oliver Hazard Payne, Civil War vet and supremely wealthy businessman. Built in 1911, they took seven years to construct because Payne loved the local bluestone and huge pieces had to be quarried. In 1933, Payne’s heir donated the entire estate to the Episcopal Diocese of New York, who created the Wiltwyck School for Boys (students in first pic), a shelter for neglected African-American boys. World heavyweight champion boxer, Floyd Patterson, was a student there from 1960 until 1962, when the school site transferred to Yorktown Heights. Since then, the stone barn complex has become a separate property from the rest of the estate (now owned by Marist). The stables have since housed a restaurant, gift shops and a furniture manufacturer. In 2013, it was announced that it would be converted into a 63-room resort and spa, but it would seem that that fell through. The buildings stand vacant and are listed for sale at $3.5 million.
Know Before You Go..
this is private property where trespassing is strictly forbidden