This historic inn located in Bennington, Vermont was originally called Dewey’s Tavern and was constructed around 1771 by Elijah Dewey, a key figure in Bennington history. The inn has had a long history as a social and commercial center of Bennington, an important stopping point for those looking to settle the Vermont frontier. In the years before Vermont’s statehood, the then Republic’s legislature would meet here and by 1791, then Secretary of State, Thomas Jefferson, stayed at the inn along with James Madison, during their trip to visit the newly formed state. After Elijah Dewey’s death in 1818, it became the Hick’s Tavern, named after new owner, James Hicks. Hicks would add the third story to the inn and a ballroom on the second floor. During his time, when stagecoach travel took four days from Bennington to New York City, the inn became a popular stopping point for. By the 1850s, trains had come to the area and the inn’s new owner, George Wadsworth Robinson, found business much less successful. In 1891, the inn’s proprietor, Walter Berry, bought the business, now called Walloomsac House, and it has stayed in his family ever since. Though mostly abandoned and out of business for decades, a section of the old inn is still used as a house.
Know Before You Go..
his structure is private property and still partially used as a private residence, so please be respectful of the owner’s property and privacy