This Dutch stone house stands in Kingston, New York’s Four Corners within the historic Stockade District. It was built in 1661 by Gysbert Van Imbroch, a barber & surgeon. Archaeological evidence has shown that the house was damaged by fire in the 1663 Second Esopus War.
In 1749, Matthewis Persen was born here to Cornelius and Catharina Persen. Matthewis lived and worked here until his death in 1819. It was during Matthewis’s time here that the house was burned during the Burning of Kingston.
In the 20th century, NYC architect and Kingston native, Charles W. Romeyn, owned the house with his wife Estelle before selling it to Ulster County in 1914. Today, the house operates as a museum and cultural heritage center.