This National Historic Site in Kinderhook, New York was the home of Martin Van Buren (1782-1862), the eighth President of the United States.
The house was originally built in 1797 by Columbia County Judge, Peter Van Ness on a 260-acre estate he named Kleinrood, Dutch for “little red.”
Martin Van Buren, a Kinderhook native, bought the house and estate in 1839. Its location along the Albany Post Road made it easy for friends and family to visit Van Buren at the new home which he had renamed Lindenwald, German for “linden forest,” a name inspired by the American linden trees that lined the old Post Road.
In 1849, Van Buren hired architect, Richard Upjohn to design a Tuscan style tower as well as a new front porch, which Upjohn executed in his trademark Gothic Revival style.
The 36-room mansion would serve as Van Buren’s retirement home until his death in 1862.
In 1961, Lindenwald was declared a National Historic Landmark and is today under the care of the National Park Service.
An old mile marker still stands in front of the estate