This historic house in Fort Montgomery, New York has a long and colorful history as well as the distinction of being one of the most popularly haunted sites in the Hudson Valley.
The house was built circa 1751 by Isaac Garrison (1738-1816). Garrison served in the Revolutionary War as a Second Lieutenant in the Orange County regiment. During the Battle of Fort Montgomery, Isaac and his 12-year-old song, Beverly, were taken prisoner by the British, but eventually exchanged after the fort’s capture.
Isaac Garrison House before it was expanded
Another Revolutionary resident of the house was Margaret “Molly Pitcher” Corbin, a war heroine who was wounded in battle manning her husband’s cannon after he was killed.
The house stayed in the Garrison family for most of its history, with additions being added in the early 1900s. For many years, the house served as the “Chimney Corner Tea House” before later becoming the Garrison House Inn.
Owners of the house have claimed to have experienced a number of supernatural occurrences, including seeing the silhouette of a man in the empty house as well as having an unplugged, antique phone ring by itself on and off. Guests have also experienced the paranormal with one couple ending their booking early after seeing a figure in their room in the middle of the night.
The house has been visited by a number of ghost hunting programs who have attempted to capture the Garrison house’s eerie presence on camera.