This historic site in Valhalla, New York is one of the oldest houses in Westchester County. The house was built between 1719 and 1720 on a 200-acre farm that builder, William Hammond, leased on the Philipsburg Manor. William Hammond served the local community as a captain of the local militia and as an elder at Sleepy Hollow’s Old Dutch Church.
During the Revolutionary War, William’s son, James, would fight as a Patriot colonel in the Battle of White Plains. Legend has it that George Washington met with James at the Hammond House and shortly after he left, a group of Loyalists descended on the house to kidnap Washington. In his absence, they took James Hammond and sent him to a prisoner of war ship on the Hudson River.
Today, the Hammond House survives due to its purchase and restoration in 1995 by Frederick Rock, who has turned it into a fine art and antiques store.