These ruins in the Town of Newburgh, New York’s AlgonquinPark are the site of a black powder manufacturing complex that was originally built by Asa Taylor in 1816. After 1869, it was operated by the Laflin & Rand Powder Company. The powder produced here was mainly used for hunting and sporting, but the higher quality powder was provided to the military during the Civil War.
In the early 1900s, the mill closed and the land was purchased by a developer who divided it into building lots. Luckily, the powder mill part of the property was purchased by Colonel Frederic Delano and given to the City of Newburgh for a park that would incorporate the old ruins into the plans for the park.
Today, it is the only remaining nineteenth-century gun powder manufacturing site in New York State and, along with several surrounding properties, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.