This historic house in Kingston, New York was built by Swiss immigrant, Franz Roggen, in 1752. In 1777, this house and nearly every other home in Kingston was burned to the ground by the British during the Burning of Kingston.
After the burning, the house would lie in ruins till 1800, but during that time, the remaining beams in the house were used as gallows. The gallows beams were incorporated into the rebuilt house and due to this grisly history, the house has earned a reputation as being haunted.
The house is also known as a station on the Underground Railroad, with a second-floor closet that hid escaped slaves.
Today, the house stands out as being one of the four contributing houses to Kingston’s Four Corners. Several offices are operated inside the house.