These historic ruins in Lake George, New York are of a fort built in 1759 by British General, Jeffrey Amherst. The fort originally had 14 feet thick walls built of stone and lime and mounted 15 guns. By the Revolutionary War, Fort George was garrisoned by only 1 caretaker, so in May 1775, it was easily taken by Patriot forces led by Captain Bernard Romans. It would later be set fire to by American Major Christopher Yates on July 16, 1777 to prevent the approaching British forces from taking it, but the British managed to use the fort as a vital link for General Burgoyne’s supply route from Canada towards Albany. After the Battle of Saratoga, the fort would be abandoned by the British, but in October 1780, British Major Christopher Carleton took Fort George and burned it before retreating north.
Today, the ruins of Fort George can be seen within Lake George Battlefield Park.