The Fishkill Supply Depot in Fishkill, New York was a key strategic center during the Revolutionary War. From 1776 to the war’s end in 1783, this “military nerve center of the Continental Army” was established by General George Washington for the Continental Army’s northern branch. During its time, the depot acted as a small city with extensive barracks and officer huts for thousands of soldiers. On site were a guard house and palisade, a prison, hospital, artillery placements, storage buildings, an armory, blacksmith shops, stables, parade grounds, and a powder magazine that was used to supply the northern Patriot forces. Today, the only structure still standing is the Van Wyck Homestead, which was used by General Israel Putnam as the headquarters of the supply depot.
Van Wyck Homestead, which served as the Fishkill Supply Depot’s headquarters
In 1974, the land began to be developed with the construction of the Dutchess Mall on the former site of the depot’s barracks and parade grounds.
Even though the depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places, the land was further developed with a gas station and restaurant.
The disappearing site has been called “the last of the important Revolutionary War sites yet to be properly explored, studied and preserved.”
Today, one of the last remaining land parcels (a 20-acre space known as “Crossroads”) has been at the heart of an ongoing preservation struggle. On this 20-acre lot, archaeological digs have found the depot’s cemetery, where some believe hundreds of soldiers are buried in unmarked graves.
The planned development on the site of the soldier’s cemetery would include a 2.5-story, 90-room hotel; 5,000 square feet of restaurant space, 16,000 square feet of retail; and a 720-square-foot visitor’s center, all designed to replicate an 18th-century colonial village.
The Friends of Fishkill Supply Depot have continued to oppose this plan and seek to “pursue assistance to develop an appropriate plan to preserve, restore and maintain the Depot as a Revolutionary War site.”