Evert Terwilliger settled here in 1738 with his wife, Sara Freer (daughter of one of New Paltz’s original Huguenot founders), and most of their twelve children. Situated next to Plattekill Creek, this Dutch stone house is an excellent example of colonial Dutch architecture, with its steeply pitched roof, deep porch, and large garret. The falls, pictured last and located next to the house, were used to operate a grist and saw mill for the family. The site was almost lost to development in the 70’s, but Terwilliger descendants came together to form an association that raised funds to purchase the home, after which they donated the house to the Historic Huguenot Street. The home and the adjacent Locust Lawn Estate offer tours from May through October.