This historic point on the Hudson River in Newburgh, New York was an ancient Lenape ritual site. In the early days of Dutch exploration, rituals were observed at Danskammer Point, leading to the point being named “Den Duyvil’s Danskammer,” which translates as “the devil’s dance chamber.”
After the Lenape sold the land at Danskammer, the area would eventually become the site of the Edward Armstrong’s estate. In 1834, Armstrong built his Greek Revival mansion, which was considered the finest Hudson Valley estate at the time. At the Armstrong estate, horses were raised that sired the famed trotters in Goshen and around Orange County. Also at the estate, a young Andrew Jackson Downing would get his start at becoming the father of American landscape architecture.
In 1875, Danskammer was bought by Juan Jacinta Jova, who began clay mining and brick making at the site. His huge brick making operations would lead to the Armstrong house being torn down for the clay underneath it, but its Corinthian columns still survive at Storm King Art Center.
In 1882, the steamer Thomas Cornell ran aground at Danskammer, leading to the erection of a lighthouse at this point on the Hudson River.
Since the 1950s, Danskammer has been the site of a power plant.
Know Before You Go..
Since Danskammer is the site of a power plant, visitation is not allowed