These ruins in Cuddebackville, New York are remnants of the Delaware and Hudson Canal.
The D & H Canal existed between 1825-1898 and connected Honesdale, Pennsylvania with Kingston, New York over a distance of 108 miles. Brothers, Maurice and William Wurts began the project in 1823 to transport anthracite coal from their mines in Pennsylvania to the Hudson River, where the coal would be shipped down to New York City and other places. At its peak, the canal could bear barges up to 90 feet long, carrying 130 tons of coal. The barges traveled only 3 miles per hour, making the entire trip take between 7 and 10 days.
By the 1880s, railroads had diminished the usefulness of canals and by 1898, the D&H Canal closed coal boating.
Today, the area is a National Historic Landmark and 249-acre park that features scenic trails along the canal’s towpath, picnicking areas, and historic canal sites. The park is also home of the Neversink Valley Museum, which features classic canal era exhibits and memorabilia.
Neversink Valley Museum of History and Innovation
Also in the park is this 1799 blacksmith house