This historic house in Kingston, New York’s Stockade District is also known as the “Vandenburgh-Hasbrouck-Tappen House.” Some believe it to be one of the oldest houses in Kingston, but the Historic American Buildings Survey of 1972 proposed that it was built after 1704 for Gysbert Vandenbergh. It would burn in 1777 during the Burning of Kingston and be rebuilt afterward by Abraham Hasbrouck, Jr. It is most remembered for being the home of Cornelius Tappen, the county clerk, who put his own safety aside and rescued the town records from the 1777 Burning of Kingston. Tappen lived in this salt-box style Dutch rubble house in 1820. Later it would become Kingston’s first post and in the 1970s almost be demolished as part of uptown’s “urban renewal.” Luckily, this historic house was rescued by Heritage Savings bank, who restored the building as a banking facility.