This historic house in Cuddebackville, New York was built in 1822 by Col. William Abram Cuddeback (1759-1846). William was the great-grandson of Huguenot refugee, Jacob Caudebec, who’s stone house survives outside of the village. Cuddeback became colonel of a militia in the War of 1812.
Cuddebackville is named after William A. Cuddeback, for he was responsible for constructing a mile of the Delaware & Hudson Canal that helped Cuddebackville thrive as a canal community. During his lifetime, he owned virtually the entire hamlet and surrounding area.
Later in its life, the house was the headquarters for a large milk business in New York City that was operated by the four sons of A.W. Cuddeback. Two sons ran the business while their two brothers and two sisters superintended the farm and dairy that supplied the trade.
The house indulges in a few architectural decorations that have made it stand out since its construction in the early 19th century. The scrollwork that relieves the severity of porch angles, the embellished dormers.
A nicely panelled main doorway with decorated lintel suggests the trim of interior woodwork.
Know Before You Go..
- This house is a private residence, so please be respectful of the owner’s property and privacy