This lost historic house in Garrison, New York was built by Loyalist Colonel, Beverly Robinson, one of the wealthiest and most influential Loyalists of his time. Robinson built the house in 1758 at the base of Sugarloaf Hill on his estate of 60,000 acres. Early in the Revolutionary War, Robinson declared himself a Loyalist and his house would eventually be confiscated by the Continental Army. The house, which would often go by the name of “Beverly,” served as headquarters to Generals Putnam and Parsons, but it is most famous as the 1780 residence of Benedict Arnold, who chose to live here while commanding West Point. On September 25th, 1780, as George Washington and the Marquis de LaFaeyette were expected for breakfast here, Benedict Arnold was at the house when he received news that his British liaison, Major John Andre, had been captured and that his betrayal was discovered. Arnold quickly fled the house, leaving his wife and child and sailing downriver to the British ship, Vulture.
This historic house sadly burned down in 1892, but a historical marker marks its location today.