What
  • Abandoned
  • Battlefield
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • Brewery
  • Bridge
  • Cemeteries
  • Church
  • Farm
  • Firehouse
  • Fort
  • Haunted
  • Historic House
  • Historic Structure
  • Historical Event
  • Hotel
  • Inn
  • Landmark
  • Legends & Lore
  • Library
  • Lighthouse
  • Lost Place
  • Mill
  • Monument
  • Museums
  • Native American
  • Park
  • Railway Station
  • Restaurant
  • Revolutionary War
  • Road
  • Roadside Attraction
  • Ruins
  • Schoolhouse
  • Shopping
  • Tavern
  • Theater
  • Tours
  • True Crime
Where

This beautifully preserved historic Dutch Colonial house on Stockport Creek is one of New York State’s oldest houses. It was built circa 1654 by Abram Staats, a Dutch immigrant also referred to as “Abraham,” Staats came from Holland with his wife Trijntje to New York in 1642 when it was still New Netherland. Working as a surgeon for the Van Rensselaer family,  he would fulfill his six-year contract before buying real estate in Beverwijk (present-day Albany). Staats lived for a long time on State Street at the corner where the Albany County Savings Bank now stands. Becoming a prominent fur trader, Staats would sail his sloop, the Claverack, between Albany and New York City, trading furs.

In 1654, he bought 200 acres from the local native on the north shore of Stockport Creek, a place where Henry Hudson landed on his 1609 journey up the river. On the site, he built a house and installed a farmer.

In July of 1664, a report from Fort Orange in Albany to Director General, Peter Stuyvesant, tells of the burning and murder by Indians of the family who lived at the house:

 the tidings are also certain that the Indians burnt last Friday the dwelling house on one Mr. Abraham Staets’ house in the Klaver rack. Jantie, from Katskill, who lived there with his wife and a boy, was found burned in the house.

From “Dutch Houses in the Hudson Valley Before 1776”

The house would be reconstructed and stay with Staats family for many generations leading to Stockport Creek being known as Major Abraham’s Creek until modern times.

By the 1980s, the house was deteriorating with collapsing stonework and a failing roof. Luckily, new owners bought the property and spent the next 10 years restoring the house.

Architecture

The Staats house is built of two units, one of stone and the other a brick wing on the west. It’s roof was formerly gambrel, but replaced with a mansard.

Four bedrooms, three bathrooms with stone and wood shingles. Interior photos can be seen here.

References:

Dutch houses in the Hudson Valley before 1776 by Helen Wilkinson Reynolds

http://exhibitions.nysm.nysed.gov//albany/bios/s/abstaats.html

Brownstoner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staats_House_(Stockport,_New_York)

Know Before You Go..

  • This house is a private residence, so please be respectful of the owner’s property and privacy

Rate us and Write a Review

Your Rating for this listing

angry
crying
sleeping
smily
cool
Browse

Your review is recommended to be at least 140 characters long

building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!

Claim This Listing