Originally called “Tioronda,” the Craig House was built for Joseph Howland, a Civil War veteran, politician, and philanthropist. Designed by renowned architect Frederick Clarke Withers, who designed the main house using a polychromed pattern of brick and stone. After the Howlands sold the estate, Tioronda became the first licensed private psychiatric hospital in the United States. The name was changed to Craig House in 1915 and it operated until 1995 as a sanitarium. It famously housed Zelda Fitzgerald and later could count as its patients Jackie Gleason, Truman Capote, Marilyn Monroe, Rosemary Kennedy, and Frances Fonda, wife to Henry Fonda and mother of Jane and Peter. It was at the Craig House that Frances killed herself. Since closing in 1995, the property has changed hands a few times and remains abandoned today.