In 1706, Johannes Hardenbergh purchased a two million acre tract of land that included almost the entire Catskills region from Nanisinos, sachem of the Esopus Indians. His grandson, Isaac Hardenbergh (1755-1822), was granted a large portion of that land in eastern Delaware County and built this home there in 1780. He also established a local mill, maintained the area’s first store, and helped establish the Town of Roxbury in 1799. In its long history, this house has been a home, inn, store, post office, and more. Today it is a private residence.